Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome Back 2009-2010


Welcome to Art Room 122!

While you are in our art room, consider yourself an employee of an exciting new Art firm. I’ll train you and evaluate your learning, but sometimes you’ll train yourself or another student. As you gain more training, you’ll gain the confidence to take on projects for real clients.
I will teach you how to be a professional. You will work hard, but expect to have fun too!
Basic Information
Instructor: Mr. McQuilling 
E-mail: mmcquilling@phila.k12.pa.us
About Mr. McQuilling
This is my fifth year teaching art at Northeast High School. I have worked as a teacher for 8 years. I have also studied art for countless years, and have enjoyed making art my whole life.
I love teaching! My goal is for everyone to find something inspiring, interesting, fun, or new. I look forward to learning from - and being inspired by - you too.
Class Website
www.artroom122.blogspot.com
I’ve created this website in collaboration with former students to make your learning easier and more organized. You are encouraged to use the comments section to leave feedback on artists we research, ask questions and encourage your classmates. The blog is also used as a gallery for student work.
Let me know if you have any ideas to improve our Web site!
What Can I Expect From Mr. McQuilling?
• A variety of challenging projects using different media and skills
• Clear instructions and demonstrations for using the materials and doing the projects
• Encouragement and guidance in evaluating your own and your peers’ work constructively
• A clear grading policy and frequent formal or informal progress reports
• Respect for your input, ideas, and personal interests

Course Objectives
Comprehensive Objectives
As a result of taking this class, you should be able to:
o Work professionally within a workplace setting.
o Identify the elements of art and principles of design and use them in a decisive manner.
o Evaluate artworks (your work and others’) formally using the elements and principles of art and design, for meaning, and effectiveness.
o Plan art projects according to your own interest and needs.
o Build a design gradually using thumbnail sketches and mockups.
o Create attractive layouts that communicate messages effectively.
o Use color to communicate ideas to others.
o Utilize art history as a tool to inform your own artwork.

Grading
I believe that every one of you is capable of receiving an A in my class, even if you’ve never created artwork before. I give lots of opportunities to improve sagging grades, including redos and extra credit.

How Will My Grade Be Calculated?
Grading is done on a semester basis: we start fresh each semester. Students’ grades will be based on:
• Lessons / handouts
• Quizzes / Tests
• Final studio art projects
• Homework
• Professional conduct / good behavior / workplace readiness

I will use the standard final grade breakdown:
A 90-100% (Exemplary)
B 80-89% (Proficient)
C 70-79% (Partially Proficient)
D 60-69% (Incomplete)
F 59% or below (Failing)

How Will Art Projects be Graded?
Whenever possible, I will provide rubrics for each art project that tell you what I expect for Exemplary, Proficient, Partially Proficient, and Incomplete work. I consider three main things in evaluating student’s artwork:
1. Effort (visible in the work and/or demonstrated in class; spend quality time on your work!)
2. Creativity (how original your work is)
3. Following Directions (did you explore the assignment as given?)

How Will My Behavior in Class Affect My Grade?
Professional Conduct means good behavior and it is a large portion of your grade! I’m assuming everyone is a “good kid.” If your behavior in class is a problem, it will reduce your Professional Conduct grade for the project and subsequently your overall grade. See the “Behavior” section below.
Redos
If you receive a low grade on an assignment, you will have one chance to revise it for an improved grade. This will encourage you to master the subject. Please let me know as soon as you want to resubmit an assignment. There will not be redos on quizzes.
Extra Credit
Opportunities for extra credit will be given every-so-often during a semester. Extra credit assignments will be calculated as “Homework” in my grade book.
Behavior
What Are My Responsibilities?
Since everyone learns about art here, everyone is considered an artist. Get used to thinking of yourself that way! My job is to teach you professionalism in addition to art skills. Professionalism means being respectful to yourself and others around you, and behaving in an acceptable, predictable way.
Art Room Rules
Refer to the Student Handbook in your planner for school-wide rules. We have art room rules too:
• Don’t prevent me from teaching.
• Don’t prevent others from learning.
• Be safe.
• Keep things clean.

What Do those 4 Rules Really Mean Day-to-Day?
Here are some examples to show you what I mean. These are examples. Use your common sense when interpreting these rules.
➢ Don’t prevent me from teaching.
• Don’t speak while I am instructing the class.
• Raise your hand if you wish to speak, and wait for me to call on you.
• Don’t interrupt when I am giving personal attention to another student.
➢ Don’t prevent others from learning.
• Don’t behave in a disruptive or distracting way.
• Don’t engage in lengthy off-topic conversations.
• Keep the volume of your voice down.
• No singing, rapping, or other disruptive noises.
➢ Be safe.
• Don’t throw, toss, flick, or roll anything across the table, floor, or classroom.
• Use classroom materials in a safe manner.
• Don’t behave in any way that threatens harm to anyone or our equipment.
➢ Keep things clean.
• Clean up after yourself so your station is ready for the next student.
• Return classroom materials to the proper storage place.
• Don’t eat in the art room.
• Keep your language clean.
Consequences
If you have forgotten one of the school or art room rules, I will give you a verbal reminder. Willful, severe or repetitive poor behavior will result in one or more of the following consequences:
• student conference
• parent contact
• seat change
• reduction of “professional conduct” grade
• loss of privileges and/or materials
• clean-up duty
• administrative detention
• office referral (Pink slip)
Good Behavior
Keeping our classroom welcoming, safe and interesting depends on everyone. Here’s what I offer if you have a great attitude and behavior:
• A fun, exciting art room where you can learn cool skills.
• I will praise you for your outstanding professionalism.
• I will treat you like a responsible adult.
• 100% of your professional conduct grade.
• The opportunity to work on real projects for school activities and outside exhibitions.


Other Policies and Procedures
Tardies
You are tardy if you are not seated in your assigned seat when the tardy bell rings. The tardy bell in the art room is my egg timer. This timer will always ring two minutes after the standard late bell. I take attendance the moment it rings. I follow the designated tardy policy of the school. Tardies typically result in detention and failure to complete pre-class, which will affect your grade. I will only excuse a tardy if you receive a written pass from another teacher that has the date and time written in ink. I will usually follow up with an email to verify the excuse. Forging a hall pass is lying and will result in appropriate consequences
Seating
I have assigned seating. Please do not move to another seat without my permission, and please do not ask for this permission before or while I take attendance.
Class Dismissal
I dismiss you from class, not the bell. Make sure you have cleaned up your area and returned any supplies to their storage containers before you go.
All Are Welcome
Every student regardless of gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation can expect a safe environment in my classroom. Any prejudicial or derogatory conversations or language will be halted immediately.
Personal Electronics
• Cell phones are never allowed visible in any classroom at NEHS. If you use your phone inside my classroom, you will risk detention or confiscation of your phone.
• Cameras may be used in the classroom with my permission.
• MP3 players are never allowed visible in any classroom at NEHS. If you use your mp3 inside my classroom, you will risk detention or confiscation of your mp3
Hall Pass
You must sign out the hall pass in the composition book on the front table. Don’t ask for permission for a hall pass until I have taken attendance and I am done with instruction. About six minutes should be sufficient for a restroom trip. If you abuse your restroom privilege, you will lose it for a period of time.
Classroom Decor
I like to put useful posters and student work on the walls. If you have additional ideas for how to decorate our art room, I’m all ears!

No comments: